The Ross procedure is an excellent operation to treat children and adults with aortic valve disease. Compared to prosthetic aortic valve replacement, it provides important clinical benefits in terms of survival, hemodynamics, freedom from valve-related complications, and durability, especially in women of childbearing age. However, the Ross procedure is a longer and technically more challenging operation. As a result, the choice of procedure should be driven by patient anatomy and clinical characteristics. This highlights the importance of concentrating care in Ross reference centers where surgical expertise and experience are present to ensure patient safety and long-term effectiveness of the operation. This manuscript reviews the major and relative contraindications to the Ross procedure.
Abbreviations:AI (Aortic insufficiency), AV (Aortic valve), AVR (Aortic valve replacement), CPB (Cardiopulmonary bypass), IE (Infective endocarditis), LAD (Left anterior descending coronary), PA (Pulmonary artery), PET-CT (Positron emission tomography-computed tomography), PV (Pulmonary valve), RCA (Right coronary artery), TEE (Transesophageal echocardiography)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery: Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Propensity-matched comparison of the ross procedure and prosthetic aortic valve replacement in adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2022; 79: 805-815
- Late results of the Ross procedure.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 201-208
- Ross procedure in adults for cardiologists and cardiac surgeons: JACC State-of-the-art review.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 2761-2777
- Long-term clinical and echocardiographic outcomes in young and middle-aged adults undergoing the Ross Procedure.JAMA Cardiol. 2021; 6: 539-548
- Improved outcomes following the ross procedure compared with bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2022; 79: 993-1005
- Aortic valve replacement and the ross operation in children and young adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2858-2870
- Improved survival after the ross procedure compared with mechanical aortic valve replacement.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 1337-1344
- Loss in life expectancy after surgical aortic valve replacement: SWEDEHEART study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 26-33
- Are mechanical prostheses valid alternatives to the ross procedure in young children under 6 years old?.Ann Thorac Surg. 2022; 113: 166-173
- Spectrum and outcome of reoperations after the Ross procedure.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1153-1158
- Cardiac reoperations following the Ross procedure in children: spectrum of surgery and reoperation results.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; 42 (discussion 30-1): 25-30
- Outcomes of reoperations after Ross procedure.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2021; 10: 491-498
- Expanding eligibility for the Ross procedure: a reasonable proposition?.Can J Cardiol. 2018; 34: 759-765
- Ross procedure for patient with Marfan syndrome.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 97: 2186-2188
- The Ross procedure utilizing the pulmonary autograft inclusion technique in adults.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Op Tech. 2021; 10: 372-376
- Successful repair of a bicuspid pulmonary autograft valve causing early insufficiency after a Ross procedure.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 101: e99-101
- Is the ross procedure a suitable choice for aortic valve replacement in children with rheumatic aortic valve disease?.World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2012; 3: 8-15
- Long-term results of the Ross operation in rheumatic valve disease.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2022; 62ezac487https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezac487
- Reexamining the role of surgical aortic valve replacement after mediastinal radiation therapy.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 485-492
- Ross procedure in the setting of anomalous aortic origin of a coronary artery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 150: 1000-1002
- The Ross procedure is a safe and durable option in adults with infective endocarditis: a multicentre study.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2020; 58: 537-543
- Active aortic endocarditis in young adults: long-term results of the Ross Procedure.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 110: 856-861
Published online: February 02, 2023
The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.