The management of aortic valve disease in the pediatric population is complex and requires an individualized approach and opportune application of techniques focused on each individual patient's specific anatomy, pathology, and clinical presentation. Though some patients may require variations in the approach to management, the ultimate goal should be to perform a Ross procedure when aortic valve replacement is indicated.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery: Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital aortic valvular stenosis.Br Heart J. 1953; 15: 179-194
- Neonatal critical valvar aortic stenosis: a comparison of surgical and balloon dilatation therapy.Circulation. 1989; 80: 831-839
- Critical aortic stenosis in the neonate.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109: 147-154
- Acute success of balloon aortic valvuloplasty in the current era: a national cardiovascular data registry study.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017; 17: 1717-1726
- Neonatal isolated critical aortic valve stenosis: balloon valvuloplasty or surgical valvotomy.Heart Lung Circ. 2006; 15: 18-23
- Left heart growth, function, and reintervention after balloon aortic valvuloplasty for neonatal aortic stenosis.Circ. 2005; 111: 451-458
- Long-term results of a strategy of aortic valve repair in the pediatric population.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 145: 461-469
- Contemporary results of aortic valve repair for congenital heart disease: lessons for management and staged strategy.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2017; 52: 581-587
- A total of 404 cases of aortic valve reconstruction with glutaraldehyde treated autologous pericardium.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 147: 301-306
- Midterm outcomes after aortic valve neocuspidization with glutaraldehyde treated autologous pericardium.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 155: 2379-2387
- The utility of aortic valve leaflet reconstruction techniques in children and young adults.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; : 1-10
- Accerlerated degeneration of a bovine pericardial bioprosthesthetic aortic valve in children and young adults.Circ. 2014; 130: 51-60
- Reoperation of left heart valve bioprosthesis according to age at implantation.Circulation. 2011; 124: S75-S80
- Outcomes after mechanical aortic valve replacement in children and young adults with congenital heart disease.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 329-340
- AHA/ACC guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practive guidelines.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 148 (2104): e1-132
- Effect of home testing of international normalized ratio on clinical events.NEJM. 2010; 363: 1608-1620
- Quality of clinical documentation and anticoagulation control in patients with chronic nonvalvular atrial fibrillation in routine medical care.Am J Med Qual. 2007; 22: 327-333
- Mechanical aortic valve replacement; long-term outcomes in children.J Heart Valve Disease. 2005; 14: 166-171
- Aortic valve replacement in children: are mechanical prosthesis a good option?.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000; 17: 125-133
- Efficacy and Safety of combined anticoagulant and antiplatelet therapy versus anticoagulant monotherapy after mechanical heart valve replacement: a metaanalysis.Am Heart J. 1995; 130: 547-552
- Aortic valve insufficiency in the teenager and young adult: the role of prosthetic valve replacement.World Jr Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2013; 4: 397-402
- Mechanical valves versus the Ross procedure for aortic valve replacement in children: propensity-adjusted comparison of long-term outcomes.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 137: 362
- Age-related outcomes of the ross procedure over 20 years.Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 99: 2077-2085
- Outcomes of reintervention on the autograft after the Ross Procedure.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 102: 1517-1521
Conflicts of Interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest.
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Inc.