There are many reasons to consider using the Hybrid Stage 1 procedure as the initial palliation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome. It allows all options for treatment, including a delayed traditional approach, as well as a platform to evolve our overall approach to this challenging heart defect.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery: Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Outcomes after the Norwood operation in neonates with critical aortic stenosis or aortic valve atresia.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 125: 1070-1082
- Comparison of shunt types in the Norwood procedure for single-ventricle lesions.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1980-1992
- Hybrid procedures in pediatric cardiac surgery.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2005; 8: 78-85
- Hospital stays, hospital charges, and in-hospital deaths among infants with selected birth defects—United States 2003.MMWR Morbid Mortal Weekly Rep. 2007; 56: 25-29
- Hybrid approach for hypoplastic left heart syndrome: intermediate results after the learning curve.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85: 2070-2071
- Clinical outcomes, program evolution, and pulmonary artery growth in single ventricle palliation using hybrid and Norwood palliative strategies.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: 1885-1893
- “Rapid two-stage” Norwood operation in a child with multi-organ failure.Pediatr Cardiol. 2009; 30: 77-79
- Bilateral pulmonary artery banding for resuscitation in hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75: 277-279
- A review of ductal stenting in Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome: bridge to transplantation and hybrid stage I palliation.Pediatr Cardiol. 2008; 29: 251-257
- Birth weight and complexity are significant factors for the management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 1252-1259
- Hybrid transcatheter-surgical palliation: basis for univentricular or biventricular repair: the Giessen experience.Pediatr Cardiol. 2007; 28: 79-87
- Single-ventricle palliation for high-risk neonates: the emergence of an alternative hybrid stage I strategy.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006; 131: 163-171
- Hybrid procedure as an alternative to surgical palliation of high-risk infants with hypoplstic left heart syndrome and its variants.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010; 139: 1211-1215
- Improving the outcome of high-risk neonates with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: hybrid procedure or conventional surgical palliation?.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008; 33: 613-618
- Early results of bilateral pulmonary artery banding for hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009; 36: 973-979
- An MRI study of neurological injury before and after congenital heart surgery.Circulation. 2002; 106: 109-114
- Prenatal head growth and white matter injury in hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Pediatr Res. 2008; 64: 364-369
- Brain maturation is delayed in infants with complex congenital heart defects.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 137: 536-537
- Delayed cortical development in fetuses with complex congenital heart disease.Cereb Cortex. 2012; ([Epub ahead of press])
- Hybrid palliation for neonates with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: current strategies and outcomes.Korean Circ J. 2010; 40: 103-111
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.