Pulmonary vein stenosis may occur following the repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection and carries a poor prognosis. Conventional surgical therapies have been complicated by a high rate of re-stenosis. Sutureless pericardial marsupialization has been introduced as a technique to reduce the rate of re-stenosis. This report describes a retrospective review of a group of patients undergoing repair of acquired pulmonary vein stenosis. Presence of single-ventricle anatomy was found to be the primary preoperative risk factor for a poor outcome. The use of sutureless pericardial marsupialization was found to be associated with a significant improvement in disease-free survival.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery: Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- [Pulmonary vein stenosis. Description of a sutureless surgical procedure using the pericardium in situ].Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 1996; 89: 633-636
- Surgical management of progressive pulmonary venous obstruction after repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999; 117: 679-687
- A sutureless technique for the relief of pulmonary vein stenosis with the use of in situ pericardium.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998; 115: 468-470
- Relentless pulmonary vein stenosis after repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 66: 1514-1520
- Surgical management of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection. Thirty-year trends.Circulation. 1996; 94: II12-II16
- Infant total anomalous pulmonary venous connection.Circulation. 1987; 76: III83-III87
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1989; 97: 886-892
- Management of pulmonary venous obstruction after correction of TAPVC.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2003; 24 (discussion 36): 28-36
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999; 15 (discussion 740-731): 735-740
- Lung transplantation for congenital pulmonary vein stenosis.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60 (discussion 907): 903-906
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.